Tuesday 28 January 2014

Literally feel like I've always been here

Tuesday 2pm the team leaders and the other medic are on PPV project planning visit, for two days.  So I have my tent to myself, and the site is pretty quiet.  The team leaders are on two day visits to their allocated project sites to plan the sustainable project, get to know the area, locals etc.  they will return in two days and report back to the deputies.  This also gives them a chance to learn how to work communication - comms. There are protocol driven mandatory reports that need to be made to field base via mobile phone, using radio talk.  One is a med rec, in the morning and evening.  This is where they report to me any medical issues - it is a highly structured and organised affair.  I am on call here at field base with the medic phone.  I have to have the phone by me 24/7. If I'm not contactable there is. Medic 2 phone (nurse) and then the emergency phone, then the deputies phones then the project leads phone, then the various London phones. 
We are rota on call sessions.  Bridget the nurse - medic 2 is out visiting the hospitals near the project sites and ensuring the doctors know of Raleigh just in case we have to temporary admit someone.  
If some one were to fall ill the team leader of that project would call me for advice.  Each time has a medical box full of the essentials, I have an emergency bag with more advanced kit.  They ring me to ask for permission to administer ANY drug.  And every drug used is logged - Drugs being analgesia, epi pens, creams.  Pretty basic stuff but it all must be documented and rung in first.  If I deem the person unwell then they may be evacuated back to the sick room here, or taken to the local hospital where they will be seen by doctors, I follow on and ensure that whatever treatment they receive  I am informed and it follows protocol.  There is a senior doctor in London oncall at all times for advise too (to support me)
The hospital Raleigh likes to use is a private one in Bangalore but usually patients are seen in the local one first (if appropriate) .

Today is a pretty chilled day! I woke up at 6 as the team leaders were off to their project sites and so I saw them off with the deputies (permanent English paid staff).  Ran 5k (Nike run works here!) had a flipping cold bucket bath and then our 9 am team meeting. 

Lunch was served by our celebrity chef -  suresh (honestly he is a celeb)
I'm eating with my hands, Rice and curry - bloody yum. Better than any curry in London.
I'm also head nodding like an Indian. Lol

Had a conversation with a female Indian in regards to beauty.  She was in tears yesterday because her alopecia was reoccurring. She has beautiful thick long black hair but noticed patches over the last few days and is DISTRAUGHT.  She believes that she is no longer beautiful and thinks that we are all staring at her. Boy she cried.  She reports that her parents love her but are disappointed that despite being wealthy she feels the need to work, they say that she should stay at home and be natural. She is a vegetarian and her parents do not use products , everything is natural, they say she has spots and alopecia because she uses chemicals and creams.
All I could do was listen to her,  she has a dermatologist and is able to fly home today and see them, but she was deeply upset.  I let her speak hugged her and went to bed.
Today she was subdued, not eating and sad.  
It saddens me that she was this upset, her perceived ugliness was not true! And the fact that she choose to work for an charity rather than languish at home is commendable.
So being big sis DR ronx, I went into her room and lay with her in bed, side by side and she cried and told me her fears. 
India is full of beautiful women, the village women are stunning, they wear no make up and although in simple they look fabulous, with big white teeth and dark eyes.  With this in mind any imperfection is I guess seen as ugly.  I am covered in imperfections and not fitting the Indian mould I guess talking to me was pretty easy for her - I am also not the object of any mans desire here and so there is not any tensions on that front between the Indian women and myself.  My lanky androgyny is a win win.
I'm sad for her but also know that she is lucky to be able to afford a dermatologist, I am also grateful that there is something in me that she trusted enough to confide in.
Day 2 and I'm already gonna miss this place when I leave.  Or is it day 3?

Ps I've eaten chicken cos we have a good cook, and I've seen the chicken run about before I ate it.  Two I'm drinking more coffee then ever.  I haven't had any sweets thou, no snacks, just three meals and water - lots of water.

Lastly black people should wear screen. 

1 comment: