Wednesday 29 January 2014

The beauty of androgyny

I'm sitting in the "discussion room" at Colombia Asia Hospital. Mysore. 
I am waiting to be shown around by the chief executives assistant. 
The chief exec didn't have much time for me, he was polite and welcoming - he shook my hand after I extended it. Not much eye contact and a fascination with the hair. We exchanged pleasantries, he proudly proclaimed that the hospital is state funded and then excused himself as he had to see patients.
I am pretty much use to being dismissed by people, men in particular - my boyish young frame and cockney twang does not conjure  up much confidence amongst older folk.  I realise that there is a cultural element to his behaviour but I still thought asking me questions about myself and what grade I am etc would have been part of the convo -a basic level of respect is all I ask for.  Anyway he has left the room and I feel like I am in containment, surrounded by glass walls, in an airtight room.  The Indian public can see me and I can see them, we stare at each other, children are confused.
Despite this trip being planned,  I kinda think that it is slightly rude that I am waiting, but this could be my western impatience rearing it's ugly head.
So I wait.

Poor sleep last night. I was alone in the tent and dreamt of snakes (a lovely assistant has just told me "five minutes ma'am". So all good)
Anyway snakes, I swear I heard hissing at around two am, and I am pretty sure that I heard the thud of a snake launching itself at me.  And then during this morning run I was convinced that snakes were gonna throw themselves at me and I would die.  No such thing happened but I am tired.

This morning was a morning of errands. I was assigned a driver who dropped me off at various points in Mysore City to get bits and bobs.
First some laundry. (The bosses get theirs done for them), then off to the printers, now the hospital, then the pharmacy to pick up medications lacking from the medical boxes, then to pick up Paul the big big boss.

I am getting quite good at this traveller malarkey, navigating through Mysore was initially scary but my androgyny serves me well, until people look down and see my painted toes nails.  People speak English and were very good at pointing out places to me, I call every one sir or ma'am and shake everyone's hand.  I do appreciate that I must look effing strange so I do have to make attempts to soften the dr Ronx blow.

It's bloody hot.  Nice . I am tanned and am no longer wearing foundation, so Fridays rush around london was a waste of time!!!
I have taken many pictures of down town Mysore and will post them later.
And il update you on my tour of the american hospital!
I am not allowed to take pictures :(   

No comments:

Post a Comment